49ers general manager John Lynch announced yesterday that wide receiver Pierre Garcon sustained a neck injury that has placed him on the Injured Reserve list. Garcon will be out for the rest of the season.
With the team entering the 9th week of the season, Garcon has joined a fairly large list of injured players.
Running back Matt Breida and Linebacker Reuben Foster were both restricted to limited participation in practices this week. Breida sustained a knee injury, while Foster has been trying to recover from injuries to both his ankle and his ribs. He has also complained about back spasms.
The following players did not participate at all in practice this week due to a variety of injuries:
- Offensive lineman Brandon Fusco – bicep injury
- Offensive tackle Garry Gilliam – injured knee
- Defensive tackle D.J. Jones – injured knee
- Defensive end Aaron Lynch – calf injury
- Safety Eric Reid – knee injury
- Offensive tackle Joe Staley – eye injury
- Defensive line Soloman Thomas – knee injury
- Cornerback K’Waun Williams – quadricep injury
The good news for the 49ers is that two players returned to full participation after missing several practices. Offensive tackle Trent Brown is back after sustaining a concussion, while linebacker Brock Coyle seems to have recovered fully from his shoulder injury.